Saturday 16 October 2010

Madewell by Alexa Chung Velvet Dress


I do not really go in for the whole celebrity designed clothes thingamy bob that much, but whilst in New York back in September I stumbled across the Madewell store on Broadway. 


I vaguely recalled that I'd heard of Madewell through the blogosphere and as the window looked interesting (rust colours, Autumnal boots, youthful but not yoof) my Mum and I decided to have a look. We liked. The clothes were well made, reasonably priced and up to date without being throwaway fashionable. My Mum made a beeline for the shirts which she wears oversized as jackets in the Summer or as an extra layer when colder, and I started to hyperventilate over the velvet. As it turned out Madewell was the only 'proper shop' we shopped in during our stay - the rest of the time we plundered thrift stores.


Having already picked up a lovely grey velvet zip top on the ground floor I made my way upstairs to find the Madewell by Alexa Chung section. It was then I realised why I'd heard of Madewell in the first place. And in amongst the shorts, cropped pea coats and zippered jeans (all very Alexa) nestled this velvet dress with a peter pan collar. It's part Chanel and part Upstairs Downstairs, which are both good things. And unlike most high necks it doesn't make me look too booby. So, I don't care if I'm buying into the whole celebrity designed clothing gig, I LOVE this dress. 







Dress - Madewell by Alexa Chung
Tights - T.K.Maxx 
Shoes - Acne 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I love seeing you in that dress as much as you love wearing it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...